So the other day my girlfriend and I decided to make some peppers stuffed with couscous for dinner. We had it with salmon, but you can really have it with whatever you want. It's great for a starter or main course, it doesn't take long and it's pretty healthy too, so I can really recommend it.
2 large peppers (we used red peppers but you can use green or yellow if you prefer)
100 g of couscous
Handful of sundried tomatoes, chopped
Handful of black olives, chopped
2 large mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
200 ml of vegetable stock
1. Put the couscous into a bowl and add 150 ml of water. Stir it and then cover and leave for about 5 minutes until the couscous has absorbed all the water.
2. Cut off the tops of the peppers and cut out all the white bits inside so its nicely hollowed out.
3. Fry the mushroom pieces for a few minutes until they're nice and soft.
4. Add the stock the to the couscous and stir it well.
5. Add the sundried tomatoes, olives and mushrooms to the couscous and stir.
6. Spoon the couscous mixture into the peppers until they are full and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the peppers have cooked through.
The couscous mixture turned out really well, but when we did it the peppers weren't so cooked, so if you want them really soft I would recommend microwaving them before adding the couscous. We prefer them a bit less cooked so we didn't bother. It was kinda awkward eating because the peppers were quite tall so cutting into them was a challenge. To get around this you can cut the peppers in half lengthways and fill them up this way. Nevertheless, it was a really nice dish that I'll definitely try again sometime. Comment if you have any suggestions for recipes for me to try! Thanks for reading.