The other day I made my first ever homemade quiche, as I wanted to try something new and I've been making and eating a lot of meaty dishes lately, such as pie and fajitas etc, so I decided to do something vegetarian. There are so many different kinds of quiches you can make: Quiche Lorraine, spinach, cheese and onion etc. I decided to do one with tomato and broccoli since that's what I had in the fridge and I didn't want to spend money on meat. It was really delicious and turned out pretty well for the first time I've done a quiche. As with the previous pies I've made, I used ready made pastry for the base, but you can make your own of course. One day I'll try a recipe with homemade pastry, but that's for another time.
Most quiche recipes call for blind baking the pastry before adding the filling (baking the pasty by itself weighed down with baking beans). I didn't do this and it still turned out delicious and just like a normal quiche. The crust was cooked through, both at the sides and the bottom. It was a little softer on the bottom but still fully cooked, and I prefer the pastry to be a little soft anyway so it was perfect. If you'd prefer to blind bake it, go right ahead and do it for about 20 minutes before adding the filling. You can use this recipe to make any kind of quiche, just replace the tomatoes and broccoli with your desired toppings.
500 g puff pastry
100 ml milk
200 ml double cream
250 g of cheese grated (you can use any cheese you like, I used Swedish Herrgård)
100 g tomatoes chopped
200 g broccoli chopped
1. Mix together the eggs, milk, cream and about half of the cheese in a bowl.
2. Grease a 9 inch tray and spread the pastry over it, pressing it onto the bottom and the sides to form a crust. Use a fork and prick the bottom of the pastry all over. This helps it to cook. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese into the bottom of the crust and spread it out.
3. Add the tomatoes and broccoli (or whatever filling you want) to the bottom of the crust and spread it out. Now pour in the milk, cream and egg mixture.
4. Put the pie in the oven at around 160 C for 30-40 minutes until the crust is browned and the filling has solidified but is still soft in the middle.
5. Leave it to cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
There you go. Its nutritious, filling and should feed at least 4 people. What are your favourite quiche recipes? Comment below if you have any suggestions. Thanks for reading :)